Spring is here and the annual fitness challenge to the base by the 4th Space Operations Squadron is scheduled for May 21.
The fourth-annual 4-Fit Challenge is designed to test the overall fitness of each unit throughout the 50th Space Wing and tenant units through multiple strength and conditioning trials. Units form teams to compete in a variety of events with scores tallied to determine the fittest squadron.
Last year’s 4-Fit Challenge received a major facelift to improve scoring, add a variety of events and incorporate more impartial officiating. With more than 150 participants, proving the event a success, only minor changes were made for this year’s event.
“4th SOPS is excited to be undefeated for three years and we look forward to defending that title,” said 1st Lt. Meagan Thrush, 4th SOPS lead Extremely High Frequency Constellation engineer and a coordinator for the event. “We know that we’re the team to beat. But, the main spirit of the event is to foster friendly competition and kick off the season of outdoor sports. It’s great to spend a day out of the Mods enjoying the sunshine!”
Many of the events remain the same. Slight improvements include incorporating a maximum team weight limit of 800 pounds for the Tug-O-War competition. A change also comes to the Ultimate Football competition. Units must submit teams at least three days prior to the event so brackets can be finalized.
This year’s events include:
- Men’s and women’s individual races: 100m, 400m, 1,600m and 5K
- Men’s and women’s relays: 4X100m and 4X400m
- Team sit-ups: Co-ed team of four doing sit-ups in succession for 444 seconds
- Team push-ups: Co-ed team of four doing push-ups in succession for 444 seconds
- Tug-O-War: Co-ed teams; single elimination tournament (800-pound team maximum)
- Ultimate football: One team of 10 per squadron; single elimination tournament
- Men’s and women’s individual bicycle race: course to be determined
Prizes are awarded in each event and the winning unit will take home the 4-Fit Challenge trophy.
For more information or to register a team for the 4-Fit Challenge, contact Lieutenant Thrush at 567-3784.
(Article courtesy of 4th SOPS)