By Staff Sgt. Henry W. Marris III
3rd Armored Brigade Combat Team Public Affairs Office, 4th Infantry Division
More than 300 motorcycle riders from the Joint Task Force Carson and Colorado Springs communities joined together for the Mountain Motorcycle Rally May 30 at Iron Horse Park.
The purpose of the rally, hosted by 3rd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, was to encourage good motorcycle practices, effective motorcycle mentorship, and positive team building for the Soldiers, Families and civilians of the JTF Carson and Colorado Springs communities, said Col. Michael C. Kasales, commander, 3rd ABCT, 4th Inf. Div.
“The intent is to have a safety focus in a festive environment,” Kasales said. “Being responsible motorcycle riders within the community is important. We want to be good partners with the community.”
A portion of the rally was a mentorship ride, in which more experienced riders were grouped with less experienced riders to conduct a check ride. The riders covered about 90 miles, from Iron Horse Park to Pueblo and then to Cañon City, before returning to the park.
“The check ride is to show people what a group ride should look like, and how it should be done,” said Capt. Luke Summerfelt, current operations, 3rd ABCT, 4th Inf. Div. “The events at the park show what you need to have, and what kind of checks you need to perform to do a group ride.”
The rally included motorcycle and personal protective equipment inspections, a mentorship ride and basic rider, best custom bike, paint scheme, smallest bike and best of show competitions.
The winners are:
- Best overall motorcycle — Antonio Brown, civilian
- Rust bucket — Spc. Steven Scott, Company B, 3rd Brigade Special Troops Battalion, 3rd ABCT
- Smallest engine — 1st Lt. Brittany McAllister, 10th Combat Support Hospital
- Basic rider safety competitions — Master Sgt. Mike Kile, Medical Department Activity, and Warrant Officer 1 Austin Johnson, 4th Combat Aviation Brigade
- Best paint scheme — Chief Warrant Officer 3 Mike Benkosky, 10th Special Forces Group (Airborne)
- Best custom bike — Sgt. 1st Class Marcus Mueller, Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion, 8th Infantry Regiment, 3rd ABCT, Pfc. Keila Arroyo, Company A, 3rd BSTB, 3rd ABCT, who began riding motorcycles in January, said it was a great event, and she enjoyed the experience gained from attending the rally.
“This is like a family, and we take care of each other,” Arroyo said. “We learned about safety and what to do on the road. It was a great experience, and I loved it.”