Colorado Springs Military Newspaper Group

Peterson Space Observer

Thrift Shop the place for awesome holiday gifts

By Senior Airman Tiffany DeNault

21st Space Wing Public Affairs

PETERSON AIR FORCE BASE, Colo.    Do you need to do any last minute gift shopping? Or do you need to find a new home for some things you already have? Stop by the Thrift Shop in building 615.

The Thrift Shop is open Tuesday through Friday, 9 a.m.-2 p.m. and 10 a.m.-noon the first and third Saturday of the month. However, if you want to donate anything there is a box in front of the building where you can drop off the items anytime. The Thrift Shop services Peterson AFB,Schriever AFB and Cheyenne Mountain AFS.

The thrift shop also accepts consignments. Consignments are when someone will bring in an item to sell at the shop and they will get 75 percent of the price and the thrift store will receive the other 25 percent.

“There’s always something different here, which is nice, because you never know what’s going to be here,” said Shelly Allgeier, the Thrift Shop manager. “Every day can change and if you don’t purchase an item that day it probably won’t be here the next day.”

Basic pet supplies such as cages and bowls are also available. A wide range of items can be found to include military uniforms, furniture, random household goods, knick knacks, shoes to name a few.

Jane Gasko is one of the 54 volunteers who keep the shop running smoothly. She has been volunteering there for 24 years.

“We have a lot of fun here working together and getting to know our customers,” said Gasko. “Anyone who has access to the base can shop here and a lot of our funds go to charities and scholarships.”

Some of the local charities are the Family Support Special Program, Dream Center, Enlisted Village, Military Retirement Homes, Angel Service Dogs and the Fisher House. Also, money is given to the spouses’ club scholarship fund.

An item that can’t be sold at the Thrift Store will be donated to the Airman’s Attic, Goodwill or the Salvation Army.

“My favorite part is being able to do a little bit of everything, for example, run the register, consignments, price donations etc.,” said Allgeier. “Also, being here is like a family being with all the volunteers and the regular customers.”

For more information on the thrift shop or volunteering go to building 615 or call 596-4463.

To Top